World Oceans Day Celebration
Celebrate World Oceans Day at Biosphere 2!
Presented in partnership with:
June 8-9, 2012
On World Oceans Day people around the planet celebrate and honor the body of water which links us all, for what it provides humans and what it represents. Be a part of this growing global celebration this year at Biosphere 2! We'll be celebrating over TWO days, June 8th AND June 9th! Activities and events* will include:
- Special ocean-themed talks and presentations!
- Hands-on activities - learn about the ocean and its creatures by touching and handling a wide variety of marine artifacts and organisms!
- 24-hours-in-the-ocean event!
- Scuba diver encounter!
- Eco-education booths, companies and vendors displaying environmentally friendly efforts and products!
- Special tours - visitors will get to go on the beach in the ocean biome- the only two days of the year this is possible!
*Activities and events subject to change.
Why Celebrate World Oceans Day?
The world’s ocean:
- Generates most of the oxygen we breathe
- Helps feed us
- Regulates our climate
- Cleans the water we drink
- Offers us a pharmacopoeia of potential medicines
- Provides limitless inspiration!
Now we can give back!
Take part in World Oceans Day events and activities this year at Biosphere 2 and help protect our ocean for the future!
It’s up to each one of us to help ensure that our ocean is protected and conserved for future generations. World Oceans Day allows us to:
- Change perspective – encourage individuals to think about what the ocean means to them and what it has to offer all of us with hopes of conserving it for present and the future generations.
- Learn - discover the wealth of diverse and beautiful ocean creatures and habitats, how our daily actions affect them, and how we are all interconnected.
- Change our ways – we are all linked to, and through, the ocean! By taking care of your backyard, you are acting as a caretaker of our ocean. Making small modifications to your everyday habits will greatly benefit our blue planet.
- Celebrate - whether you live inland or on the coast we are all connected to the ocean; take the time to think about how the ocean affects you, and how you affect the ocean, and then organize or participate in activities that celebrate our world ocean.
Special thanks to the volunteer divers from The Fin Foundation who have donated hundreds of hours to help clean the Biosphere 2 ocean biome and remove unwanted algae from the system. For pictures of their handiwork, please see: Fin Foundation volunteer algae removal photos
For information on World Oceans Day events happening around the world, please see: http://worldoceansday.org/